top of page

THE CHURCH OF SAINT PETER AT THE MAGICIONAL ALONG THE OLD FRANCIGENA STREET AND THE TEMPLARY KNIGHTS










In Siena, along the ancient Francigena street, two steps from Porta Camollia is the church of Saint Peter alla Magione.

Attested since the year 998 when the Counti Bernardo, Gualfredo Ranieri and cousin Guilla donated this sacred structure, of land and accommodation. The church then belonged to the Knights Templar for a long time as you can see from a document from 1148 where a piece of land was donated to the Camollia Hospital.

For a long time the Templars kept adjacent to the church a hospice for pilgrims (the Magione) from which it was named. After the suppression of the Templars in 1312, the church passed to the Hospital Knights who subsequently took the title of the Order of the Knights of Malta and later passed everything into the hands of the Diocese. In 1980 he hosted the Grand Master of the Order of Fra' Angelo de Mojana of Cologna, on the occasion of this ceremony, the Contrada of Istrice was awarded with the title "Sovereign".

Copyright © Ruffoli Gabriel

2 views0 comments

Comentarios


Post: Blog2_Post
bottom of page